Maximise the communications reach of your videos
With nearly 20 per cent of Australians experiencing some form of hearing loss, organisations that caption their video content will broaden their market share and improve search engine optimisation.
Our Introduction to online captioning workshop has been developed to educate and empower organisations in captioning their online multimedia. The workshop is facilitated by Chris Mikul, Project Manager — Television at Media Access Australia and trained captioner with 25 years experience.
What previous attendees have said
'Straightforward and up-to-date knowledge … A very practical and useful workshop.'
Web Designer, Macquarie University
'I am inspired to not only implement captions everywhere that is appropriate and possible but to be active in the captioning community to develop standards and processes to make it all some much easier to produce and deliver.'
Digital Media Specialist, Swinburne University of Technology
View Introduction to online captioning workshop [promo] (close captioned) on YouTube.
Why should you attend?
- Maximise the reach of your corporate communication by ensuring multimedia that you produce is accessible to users of all abilities and ages.
- Participate in hands-on, practical exercises in a computer lab using captioning tools that will support your learning outcomes and immediately teach you how to create accessible multimedia.
- Learn how to reduce the costs of multimedia production by gaining the valuable skills and practical experience needed to self-caption where appropriate.
- Learn how to manage captioning suppliers, what to look for and how to evaluate quality.
- Overview of captions, including who benefits from captions.
- Understanding of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG 2.0) caption requirements and how to create accessible multimedia.
- In-depth discussion of captioning standards.
- Review of free online captioning tools and automated captioning services.
- Pros and cons of do-it-yourself captioning versus employing a professional captioning supplier.
- Hands-on practical exercise in captioning a short video using online captioning tools.
- How to source and work with a professional captioning supplier.
At the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Caption short videos using online captioning tools.
- Understand the technical components of captioned videos.
- Understand the principles of captioning and how to make your videos meet captioning standards.
- Understand the requirements for making your multimedia content accessible to comply with WCAG 2.0.
- Walk away with a database of commercial caption suppliers, understand costings associated with making multimedia content accessible, and understand how to best work with a captioning supplier.
Late March 2013
9.30am – 1.30pm (refreshments supplied)
Not currently available in your state? Contact us about arranging a workshop in your location.
Registrations will be opening shortly!